28 February 2006

a vision

This afternoon (and a glorious, springlike, non-februarian one it was) I was gazing out of my window as the ten-till-the-hour traffic shuffled along the street below, and I caught sight of a long, casually elegant figure, indefinably harmonious with the form and movement of his bicycle, clad in dark earth tones and donning a beret, gliding past the parked cars which glinted in the sharp winter sunlight, clutching a large drawing of a face resembling that of Abe Lincoln. I watched, mesmerized, unsure of where I was for a moment, and the mirage soon disappeared around a corner. "Wait!" I wanted to shout, "Come back--I want to be your friend." But the shock of disorientation and the restrictiveness of social inhibitions and probably a dash of inborn cowardice held me back. But maybe that's not the end of this story. Maybe he will appear in my world again, maybe there will be new characters and varied settings and different reactions and maybe even dialogue. Who knows? Life's an adventure. If you look closely enough, you may find that every day you are in a new place, with new people to meet and new temples to visit and new flavors to try. Carpete diem, amici mei, carpete diem!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home