02 March 2006

"Hoy la tierra y los cielos me sonríen..."

In this morning's post (I'd link to it but it's right there below this one; you can scroll down a bit if you really want to check it) I wrote that one place I would rather be was "in a magical place where I don’t have a Latin exam in five hours". Well, it turns out I was in that place! After unintentionally falling asleep and not waking up until five hours and twenty minutes after that post, I rushed up to campus, kicking myself the whole way* for a) falling asleep b) sleeping late c) not having studied enough. I arrived just before the bell rang and I waited until the class let out to approach my teacher, still not knowing how I was going to convince her to let me make up the exam. "The exam?" she says. "It's tomorrow." Tomorrow!?! Hmm, I guess that happened when I slept through class yesterday... Anyway, instantly the color of my day went from somewhere around charcoal gray to something much brighter, golden and shining like the sunglobe this morning. Went home, showered, put on a cute outfit to celebrate the beautiful weather and my amazing luck, turned on my computator and got an email inviting me to a luncheon for scholarship recipients(!) Let me back up. About a month ago I applied for this scholarship, and, not having heard anything by the date by which they said recipients would be notified, I had resigned myself to the fact that I didn't get it. It is a fairly competitive scholarship, after all. So you can imagine my surprise, and dare I say elation? (yes, I dared) upon receiving this message. Cue color shift. By now I was feeling just like the color of the sky today: blue yes, but a happy blue, not a sad one by any means. Brilliant azure tinted with emerald green, deep and rich and just glowing with sunlight and joy and God and hope. I saw that color in B's eyes today, too.

*This is a figure of speech, of course, though if I really did kick myself all the way to school I imagine it would have been quite an amusing (or perhaps disturbing, or both) sight to anyone who witnessed it (from a safe distance, to be sure).

1 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lucky day indeed! Watch out for the other kind: missed exam, turned down for scholarship, kicked self while trying to run to class. Congratulations! (And thanks for saving me some money.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home